Tuesday, May 28, 2013

Fall snow!

Lastnight we went to bed with clear skies and twinkling stars, hearing all kinds of warnings about a winter storm that was on the way.  This storm was to cause snowfall down to sea level.  This news is pretty rare for Dunedin.  It is common for it to snow in the hills surrounding Dunedin, but very uncommon for the flat areas closer to the sea (where we live) to get snow.  Plus, growing up in North Carolina you learn that sometimes weather men just don't get it right!

This morning we were on a bad start.  We slept through the alarm, and all I hear is Simon say "Oh crap" as he jumps out of bed to head to the shower.  When it was my turn i completely forgot about the snow forecast until I heard something on the window that didn't sound like rain.  So, i opened the bathroom window and.... HOLY WOW!  EVERYTHING WAS COVERED IN THE WHITE STUFF!

I ran out the bathroom to our bedroom yelling Simon, Bodie, look!  Nearly breaking my neck getting to the window to rip open the curtains and Simon saying "Becca, what are you doing, I'm getting dressed!"  Look, it's snowing, I say!  And Bodie says "Wow, it's snowing!  That means it's Christmas and Santa is coming"! 

We got up and found out that daycare was on a delay, then it was shut.  The snow came in bursts all day.  It'd get sunny and then you'd see a big dark cloud roll in and snow would pour down!  It was so beautiful and so exciting!  I stayed home with Bodie (my work was shut) and Simon made his way into work around 10am once the buses started running on the flats.

Bodie and I went out to play in the snow.  Then GiGi and Jedi came around with their 4WD and we took off to the hills of Dunedin.  Wow!  Now, there was some snow!  We stopped in a field and tried to slide down the hill on a plastic bag.  We had snowball fights and made snow angels and a snowman!  It was loads of fun and really beautiful!  All roads were closed leaving Dunedin, so there was a line of stock trucks and what not along the main drag in Dunedin city (that was odd to see).

I love living with seasons again!

 
View this morning when we woke up!
 
 
Because we saw the 'dark storm clouds' we went out in our PJs thinking the storm clouds were going to bring rain!  I was wrong!  Snowed all day long!
 
 




 
Snowball fight with GiGi!

 
Bodie next to a snowman we made!


 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment